12 September 1945-
The 10th Armored departed for Marseilles, France, from which they sailed for home.
- 9/17- Had a letter from Buddy saying he left for home Wednesday the 12th
- 9/19- Letter from Buddy saying he would be home soon
Tenth Armored traveled to US- USAT JW Andrew
- 10/8- Buddy’s clothes came today
- 10/12- Buddy called from Camp Dix at 10.00. Gee I was excited
Upon debarkation in the United States, the 10th Armored Division was inactivated at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia. After release, they were transported to a camp near their home, hence the call from Camp Dix.
- 10/19 (Friday)- Buddy called. Said he would be here tomorrow.
- 10/20- 1:45- Father, Ruth, and I went to the train to meet Harold and Dora
I will have a couple more posts bringing this series to a close between now and mid-November. These will include some of my personal reflections on this past year of following the 10th Armored/80th Medical in the last year of World War II in 1944-45. It has been quite a journey for me.